Wednesday 10 August 2011

Review: The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Pages: 375, paperback

ISBN: 9780857071385

Publisher:Simon & Schuster

Date Released: October 1st 2010 (first published September 21st 2010)

Genre: YA / paranormal / urban fantasy / faeries / romance

Source: library

Premise:
Mackie Doyle is the Replacement. Thought he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement - left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass guitar or spend time with an oddly intriguing girl called Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place - in our world, or theirs.

(Taken from Goodreads)
Buy it from: Book Depository / Amazon

Okay so I was a bit reluctant at trying this story out. On the one hand, the premise sounds awesome. I mean, the main character is a boy AND a changeling, which makes me really curious. On the other, I've heard some less than spectacular reviews about this book, and I was worried that the MC wouldn't sound like a boy--like Ethan from Beautiful Creatures and Sam from Shiver. Thankfully, he doesn't sound like a girl, but that might be the only good thing about him.
It seems that most of my problems with this book stems from the characters, so expect a lot of ranting about that.

From the very beginning, I found that the writing was awkward. It was purple, it was fragmented at times, and sometimes, it just didn't make sense at all. It was as if the writer was trying too hard to craft her words. Underneath the awkwardness, I could see bits and pieces that stood out, but they were overwhelmed by the flower-y, tryhard lyrical prose. An example of the awkward prose:
"[Emma was looking] lonely as a lighthouse. Sad as a nun." -pg 40
Now, I'm not sure that nuns are particularly sad about what they do. In fact, I would think that they'd be happy, since that's sort of what they're devoted to.

There were a lot of things to the story that left me confused. For starters, Mackie's sister, Emma, somehow remembers the event of her brother being replaced. I forget what age she was supposed to be at the time, but it's still highly unlikely that she would remember it. And on the very unlikely occasion that she were to remember it, why on earth would she believe it to be real, even several years after it happened? When I was her age, I was certain that I was adopted and that my parents were either royalty or faeries. Doesn't mean that it's true. It just seems unlikely that she'd believe it so much. It makes this whole issue so unbelievable, and every time Emma mentioned it, I rolled my eyes and scoffed, "yeah, right."
And why does Mackie believe some random creep that tells him he's dying? Especially when that creep corners him in a club. If I were Mackie, I'd think the guy was high or drunk, and I'd try to avoid him, not, y'know, believe him.

My biggest problem with Mackie was that he was a loner and a major emo, and blamed others for it. He blames his popular best friend, Roswell, for his awkwardness around people and his inability to effectively communicate. He blames his father for people having expectations of any kind of him, and the list goes on. Everything wrong about him, Mackie points fingers and shifts the blame to someone else. Which is ridiculous and disgraceful. Maybe if he actually tried talking to people instead of actively avoiding them, he'd have more friends and wouldn't be seen as a freak (but actually, he does seem to be popular, despite what he says. I mean, he made out with the most popular girl in the school. I'd think that one has to be pretty high up in the school's hierarchy to be able to do that).
And I really really really hate how Mackie constantly whines about the threat of being lynched for being different. Um... what? As far as I can tell, Mackie is not black, nor does he live in the 1940's. People do not get lynched for having quirks, not in this era. He has nightmares and is told a story of a guy who was lynched for being different... IN GODDAMN 1930! Every time he mentions that, I just want to hit him with the book, and tell him to shut the fuck up and to stop being such a drama queen. I swear, 85% of this book is is Mackie angsting over how he's different, and 10% about Tate, while the other 5% is actual plot.

Speaking of plot, for the most part, it doesn't exist because of the ANGSTING. Most of the time, there's severe angsting for several pages, with maybe a paragraph or two of actual plot developments, and then back to angsting. I wonder if Yovanoff knows that angsting =/= character development?
And because of the lack of plot, there won't be much in this review on plot.

Now, back to the characters.

What the hell is wrong with Tate? Why is she so convinced all of a sudden that Mackie knows something--anything--about her sister? He's never given her a reason to suspect him of anything, yet she won't get off his back. She just keeps harassing him, and it makes me want to hit her with a mallet. She is such a disgusting character. She makes rude comments and sarcastic gestures towards girls who act 'girly' and not as 'tough' as her, as if wearing pink is a sign of weakness. She's a horrible person, and from the beginning, her attitude made me hate her vehemently. And she constantly goes on to insult Mackie, while at the same time, demanding that he help her. Why should he, when she's constantly demeaning him? This is a case of abusive relationships, but with the tables turned. And Mackie is weak against her, and is passive whenever she says something insulting.
Being tough doesn't make a character strong. And I don't see Tate as strong, just as a person who needs an attitude check.

And then there's the relationship between Tate and Mackie that seemed to pop up out of nowhere.When Mackie told Tate that he liked her, I was surprised. Up until then, he showed signs of liking Alice--even going so far as to find out that she has a tongue ring, kekeke--, and hating Tate. And why the hell would Tate be such a horrid person to someone she liked? What had changed? They showed no romance, not even any friendship. It felt like Yovanoff suddenly decided that she wanted Mackie and Tate to be together, so she made them both do an about-face concerning their feelings. And um... what's with the part where she gives him a handjob behind the churchyard, soon after? It didn't do anything to further the plot, and hardly did anything to develop their relationship and selves. If I were an editor, I would have cut it.

I do have to admit, though, that I really liked the character of Morrigan and the other fairies. They acted so mystical, so all-knowing, yet so cryptic, almost like I imagine fairies would really be like. Their descriptions were fantastic, and I believe that the story greatly improved once they were introduced. In fact, I was almost my wit's end and was thinking of dropping the book, just as the fairies were introduced.
The fairy lore that Yovanoff had created was fantastic, and it's a shame that the rest of her story didn't seem to follow suit.

So, no, I didn't really like this story. I found it to be a waste of time. Yovanoff needs a better editor, and better beta readers, ones who know what a plot is, and that wangsting is NOT character development. At all. Ever.

Cover Art: 2 (why is there a light shining from his ass?)
Plot: 2
Characters: 2
Writing: 2
Level of Interest: 2

Total Rating: 2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment